Friday, August 12, 2016

Our Tattoos...

Tattoos are such a taboo subject in the south. You either love them or hate them. We didn't really have a preference on them, until we had a reason to get one. 

Our before picture

After Olivia passed, we talked about getting something in tribute of her. We will NEVER forget our baby girl, and her life has changed us in so many ways, but we wanted to do something special for her. Something that would last until we were with her again. We talked about it, prayed about it, researched it, and sought out Godly wisdom on them. We both have so much peace and happiness from the designs we choose. 

The story behind mine...

I searched and searched for a cool design or something "different" that would remind me daily of my baby girl. Every thing I looked at just didn't seem "good enough." At first, I talked about getting her foot prints, but I just didn't like the way that looked; and it would be easy for people to assume they were Aiden's. I wanted something that not only reminded me of Olivia and the impact her life has made, but that would also give me a reason to share our story. 

I was doing my quiet time, and reading my book, "Grieving the Child I Never Knew" [Which has helped me tremendously, and I believe I came across it at the exact moment God wanted me to in Barnes and Noble.] when something stood out to me. Her name. The devotional for that day was on not being afraid to say your child's name. It talked about how to some, saying the name may make them feel uncomfortable, but by calling their name, it is refusing to let their life be forgotten and aids in the healing process. It went on to talk about how God knew your child's name, before you even named that child. 

"But now, this is what the Lord says - he who created you, he who formed you: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Isaiah 43:1

"Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands..." Isaiah 49:15-16

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

One of my fears, has been that life will just "go on" as it was before. That Olivia will be forgotten, as though she never existed. Reading this brought into perspective that no matter what happens, who knows, who doesn't know, who forgets, who remembers... The One who spoke the Earth into creation, not only knows my baby's name, He knows her. For me, her name means everything. We choose the perfect name for our baby girl, because we wanted it to have the perfect meaning. While I was pregnant we searched and searched for a name that we not only loved, but that also held power in it's meaning. God knew what the future held, and he knew that the meaning of her name would get us through these dark times. He knew exactly what we needed.

This gave me the idea for the perfect tattoo... Her name. There is nothing that means more to me, than her name... Olivia Grace. It is a daily reminder of the peace and grace that we have received in the darkest of times. It is a reminder of my precious, perfect baby girl. It is a reminder that God's Will be done, and the He knows best. It is a reminder that God is not done with us yet, and that He has the final say.

I immediately knew that I wanted my tattoo on my arm. As a mom, you look forward to being able to hold and love on your kids all the time. I'm able to carry Aiden in my arms (right now) whenever I want. I was only able to hold Olivia in my arms for a few moments, before she was taken away. My heart aches with such longing to hold my baby girl in my arms; to be able to wrap her up, and kiss her forehead. Because she no longer lives on this Earth, her name and story is all I have. By getting her name tattoo'd on my arm is my way to always carry her with me, even when I can not physically carry her.

The blue at the top, is from when I was deciding on where to place it. ;-)


The story behind Chase's...

Chase could probably write this, and explain his way better than I can, but I will try and explain it, however, I advise you to ask him when you see him. :-) 

Chase wanted something that was dedicated to our baby girl, but that also had a double meaning. He wanted something that would make people ask what his tattoo meant. So, that is what he got. :-) We both love his design, and Shane did an awesome job of turning his idea into an awesome piece. 



His tattoo uses the Greek lettering of Alpha (his right) and Omega (his left), Chi (the X) and Rho (the P). Chi and Rho are the first two letter of Christ in Greek. Alpha means the beginning, and Omega means the ending. The "leaves" around the crest are olive branches. The name Olivia literally means olive tree. In the bible an olive tree or olive branches, are a symbol of peace. (Read the story of Noah) So, if you put the whole tattoo together, it means that Christ is both the beginning and ending of all peace. 

Chase's explanation is that Christ is the source of his peace, it is found only in Him. The olive branches, have a double meaning, because of what Olivia's name means, they are also a tribute to her. They are surrounding the letters, because it is through her that we have been able to find true peace through Him. 

Chase's outline 


Our tattoos are a constant reminder of our baby girl, and the goodness of our God. We absolutely love them, and are so proud of them. It gives me hope and oh, so much joy!



3 comments:

  1. I love the stories behind both of them. Thank you for sharing. Love you both! - Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful testimony and remembrance to everyone of your precious Olivia Grace.

    ReplyDelete